"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Sunday, November 03, 2002

Went to Chinatown for lunch today after church. I was overwhelmed. The hawker centre we were at was some sort of complex, you know, multi-level and the sorts. And there were shops below selling all kinds of things from alarm clocks to shoes. Yes, I'm not quite a Chinatown person and the last time I remember being there was when I had to go buy some ethnic Chinese costume for the purposes of performing with the ACJC Choir. Anyway, yeah, I was overwhelmed because it was such a big hawker centre and there were so many stalls and, looming up in the inevitable distance, I knew I had to order in Mandarin. JIANG HUA YU. So I bravely went to a stall which was least threatening and hesitantly proceeded to tell the auntie that I wanted SHUI JIAO TANG. Phew, that was easy. And I sounded pretty natural too :) But then she asked me, "LIANG KUAI HAI SHI SAN KUAI?" I wanted to ask her the difference between the two and how many dumplings the LIANG KUAI one had. Now I didn't know if I should ask JI KUAI, JI LI or JI GE. Which all basically mean "how many". I think I went with JI GE, which didn't really matter to her because after I said LIANG KUAI DE, she locked that into her mind and didn't hear anything I said after. Anyway, in case you're wondering, the LIANG KUAI one has 5 dumplings. Don't ask me how many the SAN KUAI one had. I didn't get that far.

You see, Cheryl, we have the same problems. But at least you look Eurasian. I couldn't look more Chinese.

It's not that I don't enjoy speaking the language, it's just that I feel like an idiot when I do, so I'm not very confident in articulating the vernacular. Seriously, it's terrifying for me when I have to use the language with the locals. You know, I really don't want people to think I'm a "banana" (which many a kind relative has inferred) or look at me with the "HUA REN BU HUI JIANG HUA YU" look of disdain. When I was younger, I was actually quite proud of not being able to speak the language well. I mean, it was funny! I hail from ACJC and even though the first "C" stands for Chinese, you're not a true ACSian if you speak the language well. hehe.. I mean, we're well-known for our horrible Chinese. It's almost like a school pride thing. Of course I could be totally wrong, in which case, I've just made myself look like a complete fool :)
So there you have it - my Chinese woes. Let's hope it gets better eh.

Still thinking about whether I should head down to Chijmes for the jazz festival. It'll be on till 1am. Hmm...
Hey Kelvin, you old geezer you.. *snigger snigger*.. Or should I call you "ALFRED"? hehehe..
Argh... my eyes are acting up again.. if I only got a penny for every time I rubbed them...
hmm... update more tomorrow yah..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger