"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Sunday, July 31, 2005

My whole Sunday was spent pretending to be an athlete. Today was the heats for the Singapore Hotel Association Inter-Hotel Athletic Meet. That's quite a mouthful isn't it? In fact, that's probably a workout on its own, saying it in one breath.

Anyway, I was down for 2 events - the 100m and the 4 x 100m. At this point, I want to just say that EVERY single one of my friends was in total shock and disbelief when they found out I was going to be involved in some kind of physical activity, much less a RACE. You know who you are, those of you who gasped in amazement in person, over the phone or via sms. You know who you are. I have such terrible friends who have so little faith in my ability to do sports. Or anything remotely physical, for that matter. Then again, I probably earned myself that reputation, what with the spas and manicures and bimbotic laughter. Hahaha.

Even more funny - this Four Seasons girl (who was a trainee) started talking to me as we were taking our places for the 4 x 100m (we were both the 3rd runners) and she asked if I was nervous. She said she was because she hadn't run in 2 years. I replied that I hadn't run in NINE. She said, "Really? But it's ok because you look like the really active type". !!!!!!!!!!! I look like the active type?!? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

My first event, the 100m, was at 10am. The night before, I was thinking, "It's a race among the hotels in Singapore. How many fit people actually work in hotels??? I'll probably be running against aunties and middle-aged paper pushers." Oh boy was I wrong. When I got to the stadium, there were actually cheering contingents, various hotel banners, and the athletes were actually warming up on the track! And they wore spikes!!! I mean, this was supposed to be an amateur thing right?? RIGHT??

The Conrad team was out in full force, as was The Regent. Other hotels there included The Fullerton, The Sentosa Resort and Spa, Pan Pacific, The Oriental, Shangri-La, Sheraton Towers, Grand Plaza Parkroyal, Four Seasons, Hilton, Hyatt, Meritus Mandarin, Traders Hotel, Raffles Hotel and the Raffles City Hotels (which includes Raffles the Plaza and the Swissotel properties). I was so intimidated that my only goal was not to be last in my heats. In fact, last night I was wondering why they would even need heats. You mean so many people would actually take part? Guess what? There were 4 heats for my event.

I didn't qualify for the finals of the 100m in the end but let's just say I also achieved my target of not being last in my heats. And I beat a Conrad girl. Which made my very happy indeed. Hehe. I mean, these hotels were sending all their trainees from Shatec and the Polys. We only had about 6 of us and we were all full time staff! Not young spring chickens anymore, unlike the young healthy trainees.

However, our 4 x 100m relay team did qualify for the finals, so that was quite good. It means, though, that I will have to give up another Sunday on the 28th of August. But I'm sort of looking forward to it. In a funny kind of way. I bet none of my friends expected me to be in any sort of finals :) Feels like school sports day all over again. But this time it's much cooler 'cos I'm actually treated like an athlete (!) with my own track pants, running shorts and singlet with the words "Carlton Hotel" emblazoned across. I've NEVER had any sportswear with a team name on it before. Never ever. So I actually feel quite pro. Haha.. cheap thrill but I like :)

So at the end of the day, I left with a sunburned face and body (I was in the sun from morning till 5pm!) and a place in the relay finals. I think I'm quite happy.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy. Except I have to go back to work tomorrow. And that's a major bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger