"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Thursday, September 01, 2005

So I had free tickets to Boxing Cabaret at Jubilee Hall this evening. Was looking forward to a good wind-down at the end of the hectic day and what better way than to go arty farty and watch a theatre performance right? Whipped out my handphone and starting calling people I thought might be interested to partake in this indulgence but unfortunately, found no one. And I've been dying to water that cultured side of me, y'know? Yes, there IS a cultured side. But apart from that, I really do love attending performances. Any kind. Going to the symphony, ballet, play, recital, musical... anything really. It's something I can't afford to do often (cos it's usually more expensive than going to the cinema) so when I get the chance, I jump at it. I think it's something my dad and brother passed on to me. We used to go watch the SSO during their Victoria Concert Hall days and my brother was always playing classical music on the stereo as well. I grew up thinking classical music was the only kind of music there ever was!

Then there's musicals. My family loves musicals. We went to almost every musical that came to Singapore and never fail to have a good time. There's something so agreeable about them. Anyone can enjoy musicals, unlike opera where you either have to know the story already or understand Italian enough to sit through the performance.

And of course I love plays. It's so different when you have live performers in front of you, giving their whole being into the performance. It's magical. And the wonderful thing is that no two performances are ever the same. Because it's a living, breathing performance each time. It's not like watching your favourite DVD over and over. Each performance is unique. Special. It brings with it the actors' heart, being, mind, body. And you get to take a part of that away with you each time. It's awesome. It really is.

Well, here's to more of the arts in Singapore. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger