"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Had lunch today with an old schoolmate from secondary school, who also happened to be my senior in AC. He's currently working in a law firm and I was quite appalled at what he told me about lawyers - they don't have a life. Duh. I mean, I've always known that they work really hard and long hours but when he told me that some women lawyers see their children only once a week, I thought that was ridiculous. And their kid would call them at 6.30pm to ask why they weren't home. That's just heartbreaking. And there was this lawyer couple he told me about who would take their children cycling at East Coast Park maybe once a month. The kids would cycle and do whatever they wanted while the parents whipped out their laptops and worked. I know how you can be really absorbed by work without being able to come up for air. I understand how it can consume you. But when kids are involved, I think it's just sad that they're left without their parents. It's just my opinion but I think that if you have the intention of being career person of the year or if you're going to be an extreme workaholic, then don't have kids. It's not fair to them.

I believe in a cut-off time when your body just needs to stop and recharge. We weren't made to work 25 hours a day. I've stayed in the office till 11.30pm and found it to be totally unproductive. After 10.30pm, I started to talk to myself, my eyelids felt heavy and I started singing. In the office. I know it can be freaky to walk into an office at 11pm at night and hear someone singing but I sort of did that to stay awake (and also cos I was getting really sleepy).

Anyway, I hope I'm not coming across too judgemental cos I'm really not trying to be. I just feel a bit bad for the kids :(

On a lighter note, I left the office at about 7pm tonight so I was able to see the Christmas lights and the huge Christmas tree outside Raffles City. We see it in the afternoons as well of course but there's nothing like being soothed by the sparkles and twinkles of an enormous Christmas tree against the night sky. There's always something about Christmas decorations that make you feel like everything in the world is alright :)

I can't wait for Christmas :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger