"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Monday, November 14, 2005

I had a massive ulcer today and a colleague suggested that I take something cooling - like barley. So after lunch, we went to one of the herbal tea shops in Bugis to get some barley - one for me, one for her. All was well till I got back to the office and opened the bottle. Now I've got this thing about reading ingredients of things, not just food products but anything at all - shampoo, cleansers etc. So I looked at the label and, with a gradual dilating of my pupils and drop of my jaw, read the first ingredient - "semen coicis". Whatthehey????? It certainly did NOT help that barley is, by nature, a whitish cloudy mixture with a viscosity that really depends on the brewer's liking. I sat there, totally stunned and trying very hard not to puke my guts out.

Upon partial recovery of my sanity, I took a brisk walk to my colleague's desk and asked her what the heck semen coicis was. Needless to say, she burst into laughter but had no answer for me. Totally dissatisfied and still a little freaked out, I turned to the trusty web for some answers. No way was that bottle of questionable contents coming anywhere near my mouth before I knew what was in it!

This is what I found out:

DESCRIPTION

Broad ovoid or elongated-elliptical, 4~8 mm long, 3~6 mm wide. Externally milky white, smooth, occasionally with yellowish-brown testa. One end obtusely rounded, the other end relatively broad and slightly dented with 1 pale brown dotted hilum. Dorsal surface rounded and protruding; ventral surface having 1 relatively broad and deep longitudinal furrow. Texture hard, fracture white and starchy. Odour, slight; taste, slightly sweet.

Hello?!?! That sounds even more dodgy!!! But anyway, if you're wondering, semen coicis is a really bad name for some sort of barley. Felt better after that.

And if you must know, yes, it tasted good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take time to implement the techniques figured out on this page to your own running a blog initiatives. You can expect to in the near future be enjoying the benefits of greater revenue and more happy buyers, who sense your own connection to you and your business. Start operating a blog right now with renewed confidence along with a refreshing approach.Simple But Efficient Dental Care Tips You Can Expect To Adore [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Matgjjmony[/url]

12:02 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger