"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

There's something to be said for men in uniform. And men who fly planes. Military planes, especially. Yes yes, I was ogling. Heh. It's my favourite part of the National Day Parade anyway ;) I love the bit where the contingents line the ground and march past and do all their groovy gun salutes and stuff. And I love the aerial display of the F-16s and Chinooks and other aircraft. After that part, it's just downhill all the way.

And by downhill, I'm talking about all the not-too-funky formations by "lions", "butterflies", "micedeer"(!), "various other flora and fauna" that perform the mandatory run-ins and dances. I mean, seriously, who in their right mind would want to dress up as a mousedeer and dance on camera? In front of a live audience? Who are probably laughing their asses off at them? But I'm probably not giving enough credit to them. I mean, these people put in hours and hours of practice for months at a stretch and all they get are goodie bags and the chance to be humiliated on national TV. These are the real heroes of our nation. These are the people who say, "I don't care if 4 million people laugh their asses off at me. It's my country's birthday and I'm proud to be a mousedeer today!" You guys are the backbone of our country. What would we do without you? For that, I sir-loot you all!

That said, it's an annual tradition for Dad, Bro and myself to watch the parade in glee and take every opportunity to make fun of anything we see. Not that it's hard to do. They practically serve it up on a platter with all their funny moves. This year, we had a "how-lian" showcase of all our armoured vehicles going past the Padang. It was basically like Chingay. Anyway, there was this vehicle that went past with men in camouflage - the whole combat gear and gas mask affair - and this guy was holding what looked like some sort of gun and pretending to spray "chemicals" left and right. It was so hilarious! I'll bet he's glad he was wearing a mask. I would want to destroy all evidence of me doing that if I were him.

But it's always fun, NDP. I love watching it. And I'll say it again, men in uniform are gorgeous! But it's just the uniform lah. Once they put on their civvies again, it just doesn't work. And to all those who worked so hard to put up such a funny show for us to watch, gun sir-loots to all of you! You are duh best!

Happy Birthday Singapore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger