"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Tuesday, June 17, 2003


A Rose By Any Other Name Is Still A Rose (AHEM!) :)

I have come to the conclusion that people will always get my name wrong. Early signs came in JC when my tutor called out "Pamela" and stared at me for the longest time, wondering why I didn't respond. When the real Pamela responded, my tutor stared at me in amazement and said I had such a "Pamela" face. I didn't know what to make of that comment.

Next up on the favourites list is the name Vanessa. Now this is a name that pastors favour. One of my pastors in Singapore called me that by mistake and so did dear Pastor Cheng Lai. Of course by now, Pastor Cheng Lai has learnt that I am not Vanessa but some funny variation of "Malaysia" :)

And speaking of Malaysia, someone came up to me at work yesterday and asked, "You are Malaysia right?". I took a quick glance down to see if I was wearing my name tag (or if I was wearing the wrong one) and then looked up and nodded. I'd given up. I respond to "Malaysia" and "Muhleeeza" now. Yes, I have a colleague who actually calls me Muhleeeza (emphasis is on the "eee").

But the all-time favourite name I've been called is.... MICHELLE!!! A colleague came into the room the other day and went, "Michelle, do you know if there's a colour printer here?" I looked at her for a while, waiting for her to realise her mistake, then gave up and pointed her to the colour printer. A few seconds later, she started laughing in embarrassment and went, "oh sorry, it's 'Melissa' right?", to which I laughed along and said, "YES". After she was done with the printer, she got up to leave and went, "Thanks Michelle".

The number of times I've been called Michelle is unbelievable. Recounting every single incident would take too much time. I used to wonder why people would call me Michelle instead of Melissa. It's like a global conspiracy. But I've come to accept it. Michelle is fine. Vanessa is fine. Pamela is fine. It grates my nerves though, when people call me Malaysia. I'm not that big ok!

Oh, and if you want a tip on what to call me, I'd say "Your royal highness" is rather pleasing to the ear ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger