"I believe in Angels because the Bible says there are Angels; and I believe the Bible to be the true Word of God" - Billy Graham

Sunday, July 06, 2003

Sojourner

Yet another jam-packed day. Went to church in the morning, followed by a farewell lunch for Peter, who's going off to Brisbane on exchange for a semester. A bunch of us then trooped over to the old cinema in Clementi (which has now been converted into a pool parlour) and played pool for about 3 hours. Went home for a bowl of soup and was off again to the airport to say byebye to Peter. Have just come home. Phew!

Being at the airport certainly brought back memories and I realised, for the first time, the anxiety a parent must feel when his/her child goes overseas to study. There I was, watching Peter walk through the departure gates and imagining what his parents (who weren't present) must be feeling. It was the wow-my-boy's-alone-in-the-big-bad-world-I-hope-nothing-bad-happens-to-him as well as the sigh-my-boy's-all-grown-up-now feeling. Naturally, old memories of me flying off also came pouring back. I remember the first time I left for Perth. My friends said their goodbyes and I walked through the gates towards the immigration counter. When I turned around, they were gone! My heart totally sank. Then, from the corner of my eye, I saw them walking back. Silly melons... :)

I love the excitement of getting on a plane to go somewhere but I hate getting on a plane to go home. The only time I was relieved to get on a plane to go back was after my Melbourne/Sydney trip (which was rather nightmarish but turned out ok in the end). I was so relieved to get on the plane and go home to Perth. Perth gives me a comforting feeling. I've always wondered why I never pushed harder to get a PR, why I never tried, especially since I love the city so much. I've come to realise that while I do love the place that will always be my second home, it's not where God has called me to. And much as I dislike living in Singapore, I feel a pull towards it and it's definitely not a voluntary pull. There's a reason that I'm in Singapore and there's work to be done, both in me and through me. And you don't argue with the Big Guy :)

So, as I watched yet another fortunate soul cross the line into utopia, I smiled fondly at the opportunity I had and the incredible experiences that have shaped me and contributed a part to the Melissa that is today. Australia will never really be home but neither will Singapore. Never has it been more clear that I'm just a sojourner.

And boy, am I glad for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


She's feeling:
The current mood of jhuiping at www.imood.com




Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter


PEOPLE
Andrew
Elizabeth
Esther
Wen


BEAUTY QUEENS
Bobbi Brown
Guerlain
Prescriptives
Stila


CHOW TIME
Pierside Kitchen&Bar
Indochine
Whitebait&Kale
My Secret Garden
Saint Pierre
Cafe Society


KEEP UP
Channel NewsAsia
The Beeb
CNN
The Australian


CROSS WORDS
Bible Gateway


SEARCH PARTY
About
Alta Vista
Google
Yahoo

Powered by Blogger